Wednesday, December 30, 2009

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan (2/10/81 - 12/28/09) - A Tribute to My All-Time Favorite Drummer


A few hours ago, I read the news that my all-time favorite drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan of Avenged Sevenfold, was found dead in his home in Huntington Beach, California. Denial was my instant reaction. Jimmy, dead? That can't be. He's still a young man, at the prime of his career with Avenged Sevenfold; plus, he's engaged to his long-time girlfriend. Someone who has so much to live for just doesn't suddenly die.

Then my denial turned into shock and later sadness when a blog from the band's official Facebook page confirmed their drummer's death. It broke my heart to know the truth. For the first time, a musician/celebrity's death genuinely saddened me. I was so sad that I almost cried. But somehow I didn't let the tears fall because I wanted to stay strong. A friend of mine, who's also a fan, cried her heart out and I wanted to be strong for her.

Now, I may not have personally known Jimmy, but the mere fact that he was the drummer of one of the bands I adore is the reason I'm crushed by his death.

He may be gone, but I'd like to smile at the thought of him playing crazily with the drums wherever he is--heaven or the afterlife or wherever it is we go when we die. I'm pretty sure he's rocking out right now.

I thank Jimmy for amazing me with his mad drum skills. I thanks him for writing "Afterlife" because I was able to write a story inspired by the lyrics and I am proud of that work. I thank him for being a part of a band as awesome as Avenged Sevenfold.

He lives on every time someone plays an A7x song. Whenever we listen to him pound on the drums, we listen to him pound on her hearts, where he shall live forever.

MABUHAY SI JIMMY "THE REV" SULLIVAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment