Friday, January 21, 2011

Famous Last Words (as inspired by'Last Words, an episode of How I Met Your Mother)

Last words - they're a lot of pressure. They count so much that you just want to be sure that all the words you say will be worth remembering.  This is why every moment counts.

What if the one we love dies, or goes missing, or goes away for a really long time - would you want your last memories with that person to be of a moment of anger or disagreement? Would you want your last words to them be words of hatred, resentment, or spite?

But do last words even really matter? I think they do. The last words we say before we go - either through death or simply when we part ways with the people we care most about - will be the lasting memory we have with other people. That is why I like jokes, though they may be corny or the punch line isn't really funny, because I appreciate the person's effort to make me laugh or simply chuckle. Somehow, through that joke, someone shed some rays of happiness in my life. And this is also why I can't be 100% serious and business-like. I always want to put a smile on people's face or crack people up. It's because I want my memories of people to be happy memories, the same way I want their memory of me to be a happy one.

Now, think about it: what were the last words you said to your parents? To your brother or sister? What about your girlfriend or your boyfriend or spouse? To your friends? Are you sure those are the words you want to be remembered by if, God forbids, you reach the end of your life?

Last words are a lot of pressure, but don't think about it in that light. Just know that every moment counts in this life. Every second counts in the ticking clock known as Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment