Sunday, January 9, 2011

Top 10 Best Photos In The History of ANTM (at least from the Cycles I've watched)

(as inspired by geekypinky's post)

A lot of people may not know this, but I am an avid viewer of America's Next Top Model. I like fashion photography and consider doing it as a hobby one day, and I'm a little bit of a fan of fashion itself. In this post, I count down the 10 photos from the various creative photoshoots from past cycles/seasons of the shows.

10. Laura Kirkpatrick, Cycle 13 - Ep10 Posing Underwater (photo by Russell James)


The water looks beautiful, the pose looks fluid, and the lighting is majestic. I would definitely try this kind of photo shoot when I get the chance.


9. Ann Ward, Cycle 15 winner - Cover Girl photoshoot 


 I usually don't pick Cover Girl ads as favorites, but Ann's photo is exceptional. It's the typical "easy, breezy, beautiful" commercial feel of Cover Girl. Her photo is elegant and breathtaking.

8.  Jaslene Gonzalez, Cycle 8 - Swimsuit Spread for Men's and Women's Magazines (photo by Tyra Banks)


This photo is best described with one word: FIERCE. Her body looks great and in control. And the eyes! Though the wind is blowing her hair, practically covering her eyes, you still see the fire in her eyes.

7. CariDee English, Cycle 7 - Black and White Scary and Sexy Shots (photo by Tyra Banks)


She embodied the purpose of this shoot which is to show a scary photo, yet at the same time still be pretty. As Tyra Banks calls it, it's the ugly-pretty. See how her nails are practically digging her body? That's what's make the shot work. Her body language and facial expression show her commitment to the concept.

6. Chelsey Hersley and Ann Ward, Cycle 15 - Walking Down Rodeo Drive (photo by Patrick Demarchelier)


Earlier today I was watching a replay of this episode on TV and all I can think of as I saw the pictures on deliberation was "wow, it's like one of those photos you see in the shopping bags for Guess or Mr. Lee or Jag or something like that." The concept is commercial fashion, but commercial high fashion. Hmmm, maybe I might want to do this kind of photo shoot when I get my very own camera one day.

5. CariDee English and Amanda Babin, Cycle 7 - Underwater nymphs (photo by David Ruiz)


I love the concept of a top view shot of someone who's floating on water.  It's majestic, almost serene. And, yes, you've guessed it: I'm thinking of doing a photo shoot like this one day.

4.  Krista White, Cycle 14 -  Posing in Shadows (photo by Tyra Banks)

 

Amazing how the shadow fits the features of her face perfectly, isn't it? There's a certain mystery as to where she's looking and you see the features of her face very well. This is the fourth in my list because of the concept  behind the shoot: finding the light in the shadow. Oh, and yes, I've been trying to do this kind of photo shoot with my camera. And, yeah, I'd like to have a photo like this someday.

3. Ann Ward, Cycle 15 - Teen Bullying (photo by Deborah Anderson) 


This has got to be my favorite photo shoot in Top model history. It's even my inspiration for next year's "creative shoot" graduation photograph. For those that don't know, the concept of the shoot is that the model's have a word (a bully word) painted all over their bodies, but at the same time they also have a "power" word painted on their body to show that anyone can overcome bullying and that words can never destroy a person. Ann was called a "giant" when she was younger, but look at her now: she's a Top Model in the pages and cover of  a prominent magazine... and her height is part of what got her there. 

2. Kayla Ferell, Cycle 15 - Teen Bullying (photo by Deborah Anderson) 


This my second favorite photo because of how beautiful it turned out. Kayla, who's a lesbian, was afraid of having "queer" written all over her body because of the painful memories from her younger years it brought back. Then again, her power word is "free" - and that's what she is: free to love and be herself.

And my favorite photo from Top Model history is:

1. Raina Hein, Cycle 14 - Disappearing Perfum Beauty Shots (photo by Brian Edwards)


One word: FIERCE. Look at those piercing eyes! And look at the control of her body! The photo looks like an ad for a magazine. Raina is in control of this photo - despite the wind and water going her way - and the first thing you are drawn into is her eyes. It's like a photo of a professional model's, not some aspiring model's. Fabulous, fierce, amazing... call it anything else that is synonymous!

And now, for a bonus photo of Kayla Ferell from Cycle 15, as photographed by Matthew Rolston:


Doesn't she look a little bit like Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley from the Harry Potter movies/books) in this picture?

2 comments:

  1. Glad that my post inspired you! :D And yay for Raina's pic being #1! That is definitely my favourite shoot from her! Her eyes are just amazing; wolf eyes :D

    And, do you have the link to the other pictures from the Matthew Rolston shoot? I love the underwater shots. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete