Sunday, January 2, 2011

INCEPTION: A dream within a dream... within a dream

Finally, I got to watch INCEPTION a few days ago. It's awesome... amazing... absolutely magnificent. The film is intelligent and thrilling - and I wouldn't mind watching it for numerous times. The film's director Christopher Nolan is now my favorite movie director.

The movie presents the idea that our subconsciousness - our dreams - heavily influence our conscious state with the way we create ideas and perceive the world. The film even shows us that people can share subconscious states, where one can either steal an idea or plant an idea in another person's mind. Our dreams are actually more complex than we think.

While watching the movie, I realized that J.K. Rowling was right when she wrote "It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget how to live." This is what happened to Mal, the wife of Dom Cobb (played by Leonardo DiCaprio). I wouldn't want to spoil the movie's plot and twists for those who haven't watched the film, so I won't go into the details.

Now, here I am, days after watching the movie for the first time, and I still can't unwrap my head from it. I even have this idea that can not be eradicated from my mind: what if the world we're living in is just a dream? What if our present lives - our so-called earthly lives - are just subconscious projections of another life? What if somewhere out there we're in a state of deep sleep and the things we're doing right now - like me writing this piece or you reading it - are just fragments of our subconsciousness? Or what if when we die we just enter a state of eternal dreaming?


Curiosity - that's what' been perked after I watched Inception.

I'm curious. Very, very curious.


No comments:

Post a Comment