Friday, December 3, 2010

I Will Tell You One Time: Going on the Record with the Bieber Fever

One of the things I don't understand and thought I'll never, ever talk about is BIEBER FEVER. However, after watching a few nights ago a segment on E! News about Justin Bieber's book signing at NYC's Barnes & Nobles got me to think about writing about the pop culture phenom. Die hard fans, fret not - I am not here to talk trash about your idol.



First of all, I am NOT a fan of his music. I find nothing special about the entity of Justin Bieber - his look, music, and hype. There's nothing I find extraordinary about him. And so every time I see screaming - nay, even crying - Bieber fans (so-caled Beliebers) on TV, I just knit my eyebrows in utter confusion over their adoration and eventually go "Puh-lease!" In the said E! News segment, there was even a girl crying from joy or was probably feeling overwhelmed because Bieber asked her if his new haircut looked okay. I didn't know whether to laugh or to say that that fan was ridiculous.

I wish these fans would realize that Bieber's an ordinary guy they don't really need to cry over or do all the crazy things they do - like skipping Thanksgiving or staying in line for long, long hours just to meet the guy (who, like I said, isn't really so extraordinary) - in order to profess their adoration for a pop star, who, in years to come, will most likely be forgotten because someone new will come along. As Eurupides once wrote, Moderation wins the day first as a better word for men to use, and likewise it is far the best course for them to pursue.

In other words, moderation must be applied to everything, even when it comes to adoring famous people.

So, Bieber fans out there, adore Bieber all you want... just do it with moderation. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment