Sunday, December 19, 2010

The "Just Friends" Satisfaction

"Should my heart rejoice because we're friends or should my heart break because that is all we will ever be?"

My conversation last Tuesday afternoon with one of my classmates made this thought come into mind when she and two other classmates found out I used to have feelings for one of my guy friends.

They even thought he and I would be great together, considering we have a lot in common. Even in the past, I've heard the teases from my friends that... um... said guy and I would make a great couple. It's a sweet, comforting thought. But I feel like it's more complicated than that.

Nevertheless I am content that he and I are friends. I usually don't end up being friends with guys that I like, so the friendship that he and I have is what I would call progress (and a blessing). And I am happy that he and I are friends - that means we're in each other's lives. Come to think of it, we're almost-but-not-quite like a couple, except there are no touching, expectations of any sort, unsanitary exchange of saliva, or sappy sweet nothings. I'm fine with that.

If he and I are meant to be, something will be done by someone (either of us) to make things happen. Right now, I just don't think it's in the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment