Monday, October 25, 2010

Stories of The Semester: Being a Part of Something... Doesn't Always Have Feel-Good Times

For the first time since my senior year in high school I am part of a school publication. The only difference is there's a LOT more pressure I feel now than I did three years ago.

The story starts out with a spontaneous idea to try out as a staff writer after I heard about the screening for our college publication. I went in, did some writing, and tried not to keep my hopes up. A few weeks later I received a text message that said I made it as a staff writer. The excitement upon reading the message is one of the highlights of my year. I was excited about the idea of writing articles, getting to work with other talented campus journalists, etc.

But I didn't count on one important variable: the seriousness involved when it comes to business. And business requires a lot of hard work and commitment, a couple of things that aren't exactly my forte. As a result, I was so overwhelmed when I couldn't handle some of the things that were my responsibility. There were even these incidents where I said I would attend an event, but I wouldn't show up because I'm either too lazy or I got something else going on, like school work. Long story short, I probably pissed off some people along the way.

I acknowledge my irresponsibility in both incidents and from now I will avoid a "three-peat" of disappointment and irresponsibility. I now realize that I am an adult whose actions have consequences. In the real world, my actions would have cost me my job so I ought to avoid travelling the road of Laziness.

My future in the publication looks a little bleak, after those incidents. But I shouldn't worry so much about it, though. Whatever happens, happens... and I'll just have to meet with it when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment