Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stories of The Semester: Engl15a - Fundamentals of Journalism/Newswriting

This past semester was one hell of a ride, and I don't think one blog post is enough for me to tell it all. Every subject I took had its unique stories, so I'm writing stories from each subject, and I'll then write "miscellaneous" stories from the semester. During school days I didn't get to blog much, and to be quite honest I wasn't quite feeling the motivation to blog because of how busy I was. So here it is, a sort of summary of my thoughts and experiences in my Journalism/Newswriting class.

Prior to the start of the semester, I was looking forward to this subject. Finally, a subject that could sharpen my harpoon of writing. I thought that with this subject I could break out of my box as a features writer and try out other forms of writing. Through this subject my skills could be enhanced so that I could consider a career in journalism. And maybe I could also apply in my blogging what I learn from this subject .

The semester is over and I can now honestly say that MY EXPECTATIONS WERE NOT MET. I'm a little bit disappointed (an understatement) at how things turned out.

I wish we did more application of newswriting and less discussions for a whole period (an hour). But what's done is done, and that wish  is far from being granted. All I can do now is take what I did learn and apply that to my writing. And maybe there are some things I have to learn myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment