Monday, March 29, 2010

Last trip down Old Memory Lane

Yesterday I decided to clean up my work place. While I was at it, I noticed that my work space was crowded because I kept too many things. Old diaries, little things that used to have "sentimental value". I realized how clingy I have been. So I decided that it was time to throw away some of the things I no longer needed.

I threw away old diaries that contained some memories about bad days. I threw away high school memorabilia like props from the cheering exhibitions. I even threw way the receipts, Starbucks cup and napkins, and a can of Pepsi signed by Buds Over Studs.

Today I realized it was time to let go of who I was and to begin focusing on who I am now. Now that I think about it, in June I'll be turning 19. I'm not a clingy little kid anymore. My dad's right: I'm a grown up now.

Throwing away some of those things felt like a rite of passage. The memories connected with those things were good and bad. But they're in the past. Yesterday was the day to make space for new memories, both good and bad. 

The trash has never been more helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment