Friday, March 5, 2010

MEMOIR: Nothing Suits Coincidence Like, Well, A Suit

Life's pretty funny at unexpected times. I take two steps back and it takes two steps forward. In blackjack, metaphor, I'm ready to leave just when the deck is getting hot. Somehow there's never a synchrony between the decisions I initially make and the opportunities life presents me.

That's why today was pretty funny. Today was my oration for Public Speaking class... likewise for the guy I like from that class. Since we were required to be in a semi-formal attire, I wore my vest (you know how last year formal, suit-like vests were made for women?) and so did he (of course, you can infer that he wore a vest for men). Those things are what I would dismiss as purely COINCIDENCE.

Anyway, lately I told myself that I have no plans of getting too close to him since personal history shows I have the tendency to severe ties with guys I befriend. My plan was that it was okay even if I didn't end up being friends or in speaking terms with this guy. Surprisingly though, this morning, after his speech (which he kind of screw up) I was like, "Can I take a look at the copy of your speech?" I looked it over and told him "Sayang di mo natapos" (or something like that). In English: "Too bad you didn't nail it". Before my speech, I think he was one of those supportively applauded (this inference comes from my observation of sound source... don't ask). During my speech I made numerous eye contacts with him. After my speech he asked me for the copy of my speech for him to look over.

Today's events were something I didn't count on. And I guess that's how life works sometimes... It gives you opportunities when it feels the time is right. It won't hand you over what you think you need especially when you haven't thought well about it. There's a time for everything, and fate or destiny or whatever Deity you believe in will hand it over to you when the time is right. You're not the one who will consciously decide when that time is right. The only thing you can do is be keen when it comes to the element of surprise, because that's where life gets you.

No comments:

Post a Comment