Tuesday, March 16, 2010

When was the last time you did something for the first time? :)

I'm glad I incorporated the storyline of the movie "Yes Man" in my life. The movie inspired me to start saying "yes" to life's opportunities. Today I realized how happy you get to be when you say "yes" to the opportunities of life, even though making that affirmation seems like a scary choice.

The events of today were... wow. Yes, wow. For someone who wants to be a writer and is an English major, I can't find an adjective that deems appropriate to describe the day I had.

Earlier today, I established a friendship with the guy I like (let's give him the name JWB). What had initially happened was that my friend anonymously miss called JWB's number and a "text mate" paradigm began where two strangers begin a friendship through text messages sent to each other. My friend, being a prankster that she was, used the name "CJ" and my last name when JWB asked the caller/texter's name. My friend told JWB that we knew him because he's a friend of one of our friends. Fast forward into the narrative and I ended up on a (chaperoned) platonic-friends lunch date with JWB. 

He turned out to be a nice guy... okay, let's change "nice" into friendly. He was funny at times... totally natural, too. Okay, so there were some moments of awkward silence, but I guess that's okay. 

If that's the best it will ever be for me and JWB, then I would not give back to the world the happiness I felt from today. If all we'll ever be are acquaintances or someday good friends, then I'll be happy with that. There's a comforting thought that will keep me smiling: the memory of how I became friends with him. I became friends with him by taking a leap of faith and saying "yes" to the opportunity life handed me with, instead of saying "no" and being left with "should've, would've, could've".

Today was the first time I, so to say, went on a friendly date. What about you? When was the last time you did something for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment